Thursday, March 5, 2015

Snowy Spare time

Thanks to snow storm Thor, I have had some extra time to spend on myself!

I started planning my trip with Chelsea to London and Edinburgh! We officially have a list of places to see and a general plan on what we will see in which order. Next step is to figure out Edinburgh and where we will stay.

We also started planning our trip to California to see my family! I'm so excited to bring her to my family. Its strange though, this will be the first time I've ever had anyone come with me to California. She's met my Crazy but that's it! I love my family and can't wait for her to meet every one else!

Being cooped up means I can only watch so much Netflix. So I tested my housewife skills! I managed to scrape together homemade pretzels nuggets and dumplings.


These little nuggets were easy enough to make with a recipe found on Pinterest. (I might be a bit of an addict when in comes to Pinterest.) "Sally's Baking Addiction" helped me whip up these nice little surprises to bring home to my Dad and sister. You can find it HERE.
I had just enough yeast but I didn't use an egg wash to get the golden brown color. Butter, actually. What can be bad topped with a little butter? I also used a little bit of olive oil for the ones in the white bowl. They didn't get quite as crunchy but they had great flavor! I also used some rock sea salt on half of them. I also tossed them in some sugar and cinnamon, which was an excellent Idea. I popped what was left in the freezer to make sure they stay fresh until I make it home. Fingers crossed they travel well!


My next adventure was inspired by my Mom! She doesn't fail a cooking endeavor but dumplings were one of those rare failures. Her last attempt left her with one giant dumpling than lots of little ones. Her latest attempt was loads more successful! Dad even said they were good! Yay for inspiration! I looked up the same recipe HERE, and tried my hand at it. I added my own spin on things. I didnt have any chicken stock so i used chicken gravy and I didn't have enough milk to make both the dumplings and the broth so I used pureed cauliflower. The puree gave it an interesting texture but it tasted good! It was creamy and had great flavor. Lets see how it reheats and how the extra dumplings last in the freezer.

So my snow day was nice and productive! Hopefully yours was too!

~A

No comments:

Post a Comment